A month for Celebrating...

This month celebrates people achievements...We look at people stories and the journey they have been through in order to get there. 


The first person to Celebrate is: Kath, here is her story....




Two years ago I rode my bike then my legs stopped working properly.  18 months ago I found swimming was the only movement which didn't hurt so decided I ought to learn how to do it a bit better.  I could manage two lengths of front crawl before I needed a rest.   Kendal Tri club got me going, thanks to all the volunteer coaches there. I ended up having a video session with Emma and discovered that I braked 23 times a length by sticking my elbows in first.   Emma gave me some drills to improve, my body stopped hurting and someone else gave me a shove to enter Ironman Austria.....



3.8km is a bit further than two lengths so, despite being very daunted by the name 'Sunday Swim Squad'- which seemed to imply you had to be very good, I nervously asked Emma if she'd have me. I didn't know whether to be pleased or not when she said yes. Hated the first session!! Not the best start.  Cold and nervous and I swam really badly with a group of strangers.  



However things then improved and ten weeks on I look forward to my Sundays, have formed a close, if competitive, bond with those in my lane, and have signed up for the next ten weeks and the open water squad. The weeks are full of variety and I never quite know what to expect which suits me.  I also like the open water practice in the pool - a contradiction in terms?  - you'll have to join the squad and find out what I mean.   I always get out of the pool feeling good and I have never regretted going to a session ...and Emma always seems to get my bad days - like when I've just spent 4hrs in A&E with a child or driven for 6 hours or arrived knackered having raced in the morning.  It is ok to get in and just swim when you can't cope with being pushed, but some weeks.......

I can't share any race times or anything but I've gone from 2 lengths to 2km without stopping in 18months, my CSS time has come down 19secs in 10 weeks, I'm more confident, I've made new friends, I've learnt a lot.  I am going to do an ironman in 14 weeks time, which means 3.8km of swimming, my body doesn't hurt anymore and my boobs are bigger !! 


....14 weeks later. Kath raced the middle distance triathlon for her age group, 2014. 

Race report - went to Mallorca to race in the Middle Distance European Triathlon Championships, 1.9km sea swim, no wetsuit, 90km (56 mile) bike and 13 mile run. Time 6hrs 10 mins, place 11th out of 21 in my age group.

Thanks Kath for sharing such an inspiring story,  Kath works, is a mum, wife and it is through passion, dedication and love for the sport that she has worked hard and come so far.

I hope this will help those of you out there to take that next step and do what you have always dreamed of.... 

Well Done Kath - A true inspiration.....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it simple.

Meeting Sue

What a Difference a Month Makes.